Introduced in 2016, the Preservation Award is held each year in association with both the Run and the Classic. It is for vehicles that have not been restored or modified.
The interest in untouched and largely preserved vehicles has been growing within the historic motor vehicle movement for many years. The Bay to Birdwood acknowledge this interest with the award.
Enter Your Vehicle
To be a part of this category, please indicate your interest clearly on the entry form and attach a photograph of the vehicle for the Organisers consideration. Traditionally, Preservation entrant vehicles are flagged off among the first at the Start to facilitate their arrival at the National Motor Museum for judging.
The original condition of the vehicle must be substantially unaltered from original delivery, but may show signs of sympathetic use. Please note that while entrants are encourage to wear period-correct attire when accompanying their vehicle NO judging points are awarded for attire in this category.
There will be only one overall winner, however, if in the opinion of the judges no vehicle satisfies the required standards, no award will be made. All finalists receive a certificate and the overall winner receives the Preservation Trophy.
Preservation Class Rules
- All vehicles must comply with the conditions of entry.
- A photo which clearly displays your vehicle as it will be shown on the day must be submitted with your entry form. Additional photographs may be requested by the Organisers.
- Vehicles must be presented for judging at the National Motor Museum, Birdwood in the allocated judging area. Drivers/riders must stay with their vehicle until judging is completed.
- Shortlisted finalists may be asked to relocate their vehicles to a display area at some point after judging is completed.
- There will be a stage presentation to the winner.
- Vehicles arriving at the site after midday may not be able to be judged and may be declared ineligible.
- As entrants of the award you vehicle must be presented in a suitable condition for the competition (suitable means a well presented vehicle without restoration or significant modification)
- Minor modifications aimed at ensuring road worthiness and safety of the vehicle (eg. electric starters, seat belts) are permitted.
- If you decide to withdraw from the award for any reason, please advise the Organisers as soon as possible to avoid any confusion on the day. Refunds of award category fees are not available.
Judging will be undertaken by an expert panel.
There will be only one overall winner, however, all finalists will be presented with a finalist certificate.
- Any vehicle that wins an award will NOT be eligible to win or enter the award section for the next ten consecutive Bay to Birdwood events.
- Previous winning vehicles are encouraged to enter the event and will be displayed with other previous award winning vehicles. Please contact the Organisers if you are entering a Bay to Birdwood award winning vehicle.
2018 Preservation Award winner
Congratulations to Elizabeth Murphy and her 1935 Chrysler Plymouth for winning the Preservation Award at the 2018 Bay to Birdwood Run.
2017 Preservation Award winner
Congratulations to Paul Aikman and his 1966 Pontiac Bonneville at the 2017 Bay to Birdwood Classic.
2016 Inaugural Preservation Class winner
Congratulations to Natalie Halstead with her late husband’s 1958 Sunbeam at the 2016 Bay to Birdwood Run.
Past Winners of the Preservation Class
Bay to Birdwood Run
- 2018 Elizabeth Murphy – 1935 Chyrsler Plymouth
- 2016 Natalie Halstead – 1958 Sunbeam
Bay to Birdwood Classic
- 2017 Paul Aikman – 1966 Pontiac Bonneville